Background of Scoil Mhuire
The Pioneer of second level education in Strokestown was Miss Mary Carlos, who founded the original Scoil Mhuire in Bawn Street
in the late 1920's. This Co-educational school served the locality with distinction for four decades.
The Convent Primary Shool was founded in 1891. The present school building was erected in 1954 and its completion meant that from 1955
onwards, girls stayed on to do their Leaving Certificate. The Convent Primary School continued with its 'secondary-top' until 1967.
By 1967, plans were in existence to construct a five-roomed vocational school in Strokestown to provide technical subjects.
Strokestown could have ended up with three very small second level schools each struggling for survival. However, the co-operative effort,
evidenced in other areas of enterprise in Strokestown, prevailed. An agreement was reached between all parties interested in school level education
in the town. Scoil Mhuire, Bawn Street, amalgamated with the Convent secondary top to form a new secondary school, independant of the primary school.
An agreement was reached whereby the school born of the amalgamation would be comprehensive, offering subjects taught in vocational schools as well
as those traditional to the secondary system.
The new Scoil Mhuire opened on the Convent Campus in September 1967 as a voluntary secondary school which had opted to enter the O'Mally Free Second
Level Education Scheme. The new school retained the name of the Bawn Street School, Sr. M. Rosarii Rushe was the first principal, Miss Carlos
continued her work for education in Scoil Mhuire until her retirement in 1973.
Stage Developments of Our School
Further developments were: completion of stage one of the permanent building (1972); introduction of Agricultural Science (1973); first
musical stage productions - Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (1975); foundation of Parents' Council (1976); provision of
Guidance Counselling Service (1979); blessing and opening of stage two of school building, and provision of Education Liaison Officer (1982);
provision of Specialist Remedial Service (1983); introduction of Vocational Preparation and Training Programme (1984); Transition Year (1989);
Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (1990); completion of two new classrooms (1990); addition of four further rooms, including new Art Room,
Technical Graphics Room and Computer Room. Our school buildings and services have been developed through the self-sacrifice and dedication of
many people including pioneers like Miss Carlos, the Sisters of Mercy, the teachers, secretary, caretakers, parents and pupils of the past and
present. The provision of these facilities and services was a magnificent community effort.
On 12th October 2012 the official opening of the New Extension, Gymnasium and school refurbishment was performed by minister
Pat Rabitte T.D. This includes two new Science Laboratories, new Woodwork room, new Metalwork room, new DCG room, new Multimedia room, new
fully equipped Gym and P.E. Hall, new classrooms, meeting rooms, offices and store rooms. Many areas of the original school building got
refurbished at the same time. Also opened in 2012 was the new Astroturf pitch which is an excellent facility for all our students at Scoil Mhuire.